RENFREW COUNTY – The Renfrew County and District Health Unit (RCDHU) says testing has been doubled-up over the last 24-hours yet there are still no additional positive COVID-19 cases reported as of yesterday (April 21).
The RCDHU says an additional 83 people in our area have been tested with another 54 pending test results cleared. The day before 41 additional tests had been completed.
Across Renfrew County 14 people have tested positive for the novel coronavirus, six people have recovered and one person has died. New case information and test results are posted on the health unit website every day at noon.
There were 551 new cases of COVID-19 in Ontario yesterday (April 21) including 38 additional deaths. It’s an increase of 4.9 per cent from April 20 marking the lowest growth rate in weeks. Across the province there’s 11,735 cases and 662 people have died from the novel coronavirus.
Premier Doug Ford announced support for seniors across Ontario. Ford says they’re doubling the Guaranteed Annual Income System payments for 194,000 low income seniors in the province. Ford says this means an extra $166 per month for individuals or $332 per month for couples.
These doubled payments will continue for six months for vulnerable seniors who may need more help to cover essential expenses during the COVID-19 outbreak. Ford also announced $11 million to support the Meals on Wheels program to help deliver food, medicine and other essential goods to the most vulnerable in our communities. The Ontario Premier says they will be providing another $40 million to community organizations such as developmental services, child welfare and victim shelters.