City tornado checklist

Special to WC Online

OTTAWA – Here is a checklist and list of resources tornado victims can use they recover from damage caused by last Friday’s (Sept. 21) tornadoes.


The first thing you should do is contact your insurance company. Most home and business insurance policies cover damage caused by a windstorm or tornado. If you are a renter, contact the property owner and your renters’ insurance company. Your insurance company will give you direction on your next steps and assist with clean up and debris removal. 

Get help

The city has activated community support centres that operate daily. Personnel are on-site to offer services and information about cleanup, rebuilding, financial assistance and more. The community support centres are located:

Nepean Sportsplex – 1701 Woodroffe Avenue

West Carleton Secondary School – 3088 Dunrobin Road

The Province of Ontario has activated the Disaster Recovery Assistance for Ontarians

The Ottawa branch of the Canadian Red Cross is registering people who need help with their recovery efforts.

Clean up

To help clean up your private residential property, contact Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) Alliance Members of Ontario at 1-844-547-2663. They can provide assistance at no charge.

Regular curbside collection continues as scheduled.

Please do not move storm-related debris from your property to the curb. Contact your insurance company to arrange for proper disposal. 


If you suspect that your home was structurally damaged by the tornado, contact a qualified professional, such as an engineer, to assess the situation and provide direction on the required repairs.

If you have severely damaged structures on your property, please contact Building Code Services at 613-580-2424 extension 29312 or

Buildings damaged by the tornado are not necessarily subject to a timeline for reconstruction, however access to severely damaged structures, including pool enclosures, must be reasonably restricted to ensure safety.

Building permits

A property owner must get a building permit prior to construction or renovation. This ensures that the minimum standards for health and safety, fire protection, structural adequacy, energy performance and accessibility are met.

If you are unclear if you need a building permit, please contact Building Code

You can get a building permit at any Building Code Client Service Centre:

110 Laurier Avenue West

255 Centrum Boulevard

101 Centrepointe Drive

580 Terry Fox Drive

8243 Victoria Street

5670 Carp Road

2155 Roger Stevens Drive

Construction plans

Depending on the age of your home and its location, the City may have copies of the plans for the original construction and/or subsequent renovations. Building Code Services can help you with that.

Building inspections

Inspections will be scheduled within one business day following a request. Priority will be given to properties where tornado damage has compromised the structural integrity of the dwelling.

Mental health

The psychological impact of a stressful event can be immediate or delayed, and those affected directly or indirectly can feel a range of emotions and reactions. In the wake of stressful events our reactions can affect us physically or emotionally. It can have an impact on our thinking.

Learn more about mental health resources, including when you should get help and where you can get it.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email