CARP – The city will host a five-day household hazardous waste depot at the city’s snow disposal facility just off Carp Road stating Aug. 18.
“There will be a five-day household hazardous waste depot at the Westbrook snow disposal facility at 200 Westbrook Rd., just south of Highway 417,” Coun. Eli El-Chantiry’s office released in a statement.
The depot will run from Tuesday, Aug. 18 until Saturday, Aug. 22 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. No electronic waste will be accepted at this site.
To address operational restrictions the following procedures will be in place:
Upon arrival, residents will be directed into a queue where they will wait their turn to park in a designated area. All vehicles will be spaced accordingly, and residents must remain in their vehicle at all times;
- Residents arriving on bicycles are permitted to drop-off materials, and they must follow the instructions provided by staff on site;
- Residents will not be able to sort their material on site. Residents must remain in their vehicle at all times. Staff will remove the material from the trunk of the vehicle by complying to restrictions of physical distancing;
- The depot will accept household hazardous waste only. No electronic waste will be accepted. Residents can bring electrnic waste to the Trail Road Landfill facility at no cost or can contact a participating Take it Back member to arrange for proper disposal;
- Bins, totes, gas cans, etc. will not be returned to the resident;
- If using a cardboard box to transport your material, please line the box with a garbage bag for possible leaks;
- The last vehicle will be emptied at 4 p.m. If the site is experiencing long line-ups, residents may not be able to drop off their material that day.
Since occupants are not permitted to exit the vehicle and will not be in close proximity with staff members, there is no requirement to wear a mask or face shield, however, residents are free to do so if they would like.
For more information including a list of accepted items click here.