Improvements to assistive technology workstations make OPL more accessible than ever!
Over the past few months, Ottawa Public Library (OPL) has upgraded all assistive technology workstations across its system. Assistive technology stations provide a range of equipment and features that are helpful to customers with different types of disabilities. Each of OPL’s 33 branches has at least one assistive workstation.
The upgrades to the assistive technology workstations include:
- Windows 10 assistive software, including such features as a built-in narrator, magnifier, high contrast options, and close captioning;
- A home-like desktop experience, with applications now listed on the Start Menu of Windows;
- 23” touchscreen monitors with new privacy screens;
- New peripheral equipment, including the keyboard, mouse and assistive mouse; and,
- Ergonomic armrests to facilitate use of the workstation by people who experience strain in their arms, neck, and back when using a computer.
“Accessibility is a priority for the OPL,” said Tim Tierney, Chair of the OPL Board and Councillor for Beacon Hill-Cyrville Ward. “The Library is a place for everyone, and OPL continually looks for new ways to adapt and make library services and resources available to customers, whatever their needs.”
OPL is proud to be part of the City of Ottawa’s AccessAbility day, taking place Thursday, May 31 at City Hall. Dedicated to making resources and services accessible to everyone, OPL offers options to people with disabilities through a wide range of collections and services, including the Bookmobile, Homebound Services, a Talking Book Service, and Accessibility Services.
The Ottawa Public Library (OPL) is the largest bilingual (English/French) public library system in North America, with 34 branches, physical and virtual at BiblioOttawaLibrary.ca, mobile libraries, and a vending machine library service. OPL’s mission is to inspire learning, spark curiosity, and connect people. Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook. Contact us at 613-580-2940 or InfoService@BiblioOttawaLibrary.ca. If it’s out there, it’s in here!