Emergency briefs: Renfrew car thief caught in Pembroke, Russell Road row house fire, Aspen Village grease fire

PEMBROKE – Renfrew County police caught a suspected Renfrew car thief, who took his ride to Pembroke.

“The Pembroke Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), assisted the East Region Community Street Crime Unit (CSCU) in locating a stolen vehicle and arresting the driver,” OPP media relations officer Const. Brianna Roberge released in a statement today (Jan. 19).

On Jan. 17, a motor vehicle was stolen from a residence on Bank Street in the Town of Renfrew. The stolen vehicle was reported to police.

“CSCU members and Pembroke OPP officers located the vehicle in the Town of Pembroke on Jan. 18,” Roberge said. “The driver of the stolen vehicle attempted to evade police but was arrested a short time later.”

As a result of the investigation, Aidan O’Ryan, 21 of Renfrew, was charged with:

  • Dangerous operation
  • Fail to comply with probation order
  • Flight from police
  • Possession property obtained by crime over $5,000
  • Possession property obtained by crime under $5,000
  • Theft over $5000 of a motor vehicle
  • Use of credit card

The accused was held for bail.

Crime Stoppers Pembroke/Renfrew County believes that someone may have information that could assist police in solving crimes. If you have information that results in charges being laid, you qualify for an award of up to $2,000. Call Pembroke/Renfrew County Crime Stoppers at 613-735-8477 or toll free at 1-800-222-8477.

Russell Road rowhouse fire

RAMSAYVILLE – Ottawa firefighters protected several other residents this morning (Jan. 19) battling a Russell Road fire in an attached end unit row house. 

“At approximately 6:21 a.m. this morning, the Ottawa Fire Services (OFS) Communication Division received multiple 911 calls reporting a fire in an attached end unit row house on Russell Road off of Tupper Avenue and Southvale Crescent,” OFS public information officer Nicholas DeFazio released in a statement today.

Firefighters from OFS Station 31 in Alta Vista Ward were first on scene.

“The first OFS apparatus arrived on scene in four minutes and confirmed smoke visible from the unit,” DeFazio said. “A working fire was declared to dispatch addition apparatus to the scene. There were reports from neighbours on scene that the home could have occupants inside.”

Firefighters began a fast attack to extinguish the fire and also began searching the structure.

“At 6:34 a.m., firefighters completed a search of the ground floor through the heavy black smoke and confirmed there were no occupants on that floor,” DeFazio said. “Both the staircase leading up to the second floor and the floor of the second floor were completely compromised by the fire, so firefighters used ladders up the second-floor windows to check for occupants.”

At 6:37 a.m., the owner arrived on scene and confirmed there were no occupants inside.

“Firefighters used chainsaws to cut holes in the roof to locate and extinguish flames in the roof,” DeFazio said. “Firefighters completed two full searches of the structure and confirmed there were no occupants inside.”

At 7:08 a.n., the fire was declared under control. At 7:34 a.m., firefighters were extinguishing hot spots in the burnt out stairwell. Victim assistance was requested for two adults.

“A neighbour who broke a window at the back of the structure and took in some smoke while trying to call out to see if anyone was inside was sent to see the Ottawa paramedics on scene,” DeFazio said. “Due to the quick response, combined with the fast attack, the fire was contained to the end unit and firefighters prevented it from spreading to the adjoining townhouse.”

Aspen Village grease fire

ORLEANS – OFS received a 911 call from the occupants of a house reporting a grease fire in their kitchen Tuesday (Jan. 17).

“They were instructed to evacuate the premise and closed the door behind them,” DeFazio said.

Firefighters from OFS Station 54 in Innes Ward were first on scene.

“Firefighters arrived five minutes later and made their way in to the house,” DeFazio said. “Once inside the kitchen they discovered the fire was spreading to the cabinets and ceiling.”

At 10:16 p.m. crews quickly extinguished the flames and ventilated the smoke.

“Three people were displaced as a result and the Red Cross is assisting,” DeFazio said. “No injuries were reported. The fire was declared under control at 10:16 p.m. A loss stopped was declared at 10:28 p.m. There are no reported injuries. An Ottawa fire investigator will not be required to attend for this incident. The Canadian Red Cross will be assisting those affected by this incident.”

Downtown motorcycle fire
A photo of a burned out motorcycle.
Firefighters prevented this motorcycle fire from spreading to the building and nearby car. Courtesy the OFS

LOWERTOWN – Firefighters extinguished a motorcycle fire on Cumberland Street, parked inches away from another vehicle.

“At approximately 4:49 p.m., OFS communications received multiple 911 calls reporting a vehicle was on fire inside the garage of a multi-storey high rise in the 300 block of Cumberland Street off of Murray Street and Clarence Street,” DeFazio said Jan. 17.

Firefighters from OFS Station 13 in Rideau-Vanier Ward were first on scene.

“The first OFS crew arrived on scene three minutes after being dispatched to the call and confirmed a motorcycle was on fire inside the parking garage one grade below street level of the high-rise building,” DeFazio said. “Firefighters began a fast attack and quickly brought a hose line through the garage and down to the lower level of the parking garage to start extinguishing the fire.”

The fire has spread to a couple of tires that were in close proximity to the motorcycle which produced a large amount of black smoke throughout the underground parking garage.

“At 4:59 p.m., seven minutes after arriving on scene, the fire was declared under control,” DeFazio said. “Firefighters prevented the fire from spreading to a car that was parked close to the motorcycle. Fire crews spent over an hour using high pressurized fans to ventilate all the residual smoke out of the parking garage. Firefighters confirmed the conditions inside the building were safe for residents.”

There are no reported injuries. Due to the quick response, combined the fast attack, firefighters contained the fire to the motorcycle before it could spread.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email