60+ group fitness classes in Carp starting Jan. 22
Special to WC Online
CARP – Certified fitness trainer Kelly Betts has found a home to host her 60+ group fitness classes. Actually it’s a church.
Starting Jan. 22 Carp’s Betts, who operates Thrive Older Adult Wellness, will run an eight-week small group fitness program Wednesdays at St. Paul’s United Church.
“I’ve secured my rental for the 60+ Group Fitness classes,” Betts told West Carleton Online. “People can register for one of two times 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. or 11 to noon. Registration can be done by emailing me directly at email@example.com, by filling out the contact form on my site, or by registering online on my booking platform. I will cap the class numbers so that the groups are small enough for everyone to get one-on-one attention.”
Here is the detailed info about what participants can expect, and what makes this different from standard group fitness classes:
- Thrive 60+ Small Group Fitness
- 8-week program for people aged 60 and up
- one-hour session per week
- 40-minute fitness block followed by 20-minute learning block
We start with a warm-up, then move on to a variety of exercises to improve strength using body weight/light weights/resistance bands. We then work on cardio endurance, followed by exercises to improve balance and help reduce the likelihood of falls. The workout ends with a cool down and stretch to improve flexibility.
“Participants are always encouraged to work at their own level and pace, with emphasis on enjoying exercise and having fun,” Betts said.
Each week involves different learning activities including:
- learning about Canadian physical guidelines for 65+
- determining your starting point and setting both short and long-term fitness SMART goals
- exploring appropriate fitness options in the community
- learning about practical ways to incorporate more physical activity into daily life
- understanding the new Canadian Food Guide recommendations and how to apply them in real life
- creating a balanced fitness plan that includes strength, endurance, flexibility, and balance
- Great for beginners or those who are looking to get back into exercise.
- All equipment is provided. Please bring a water bottle, dress in comfortable exercise clothing, and wear appropriate supportive footwear.
The cost for the eight-week program is $120. Participants can pay online, via etransfer, or at the first class with cash or cheque.