UPDATED: WC all over Ottawa Award nominations
By Jake Davies - West Carleton Online
WEST CARLETON – The annual Faces Magazine 2020 Ottawa Awards nominations are out, and the list is dominated by businesses, organizations and the people of West Carleton.
Each year Faces Magazine hosts the Ottawa Awards highlighting the best of the city in a myriad of categories. Faces Magazine bills itself as a monthly lifestyle magazine with content focused on fashion, health, fitness, style and sports and entertainment. The magazine is Ottawa owned, headquartered in Kanata and started publishing in 2010. The magazine is complimentary and features local events, photos from around the city as well as a variety of fashion, health and fitness articles.
“The Ottawa Awards by Faces Magazine are Ottawa’s largest people’s choice awards that highlight the people, places, businesses and organizations that make our city world class,” magazine staff released in a statement.
This year is the 10th year the awards have been held and organizers say, “is the largest and most anticipated annual awards event in the National Capital Region.”
The Ottawa Awards are a people’s choice award, wherein winners are decided on who gets the most votes during the three-week online voting period between Jan. 3 and Jan. 24.
There are 23 categories in which to vote on. This year, those categories are filled with West Carleton entries including (newest finds added to top of list):
- Dr. Susan Joshi: Chiropractor (we apologize for missing this one, Dr. Joshi has been a West Carleton Online supporter since nearly the very beginning)
- Glenn and Mitchell Carroll: Mechanic/Auto Repair
- Alice’s Village Café: Coffee shop and Breakfast/brunch spot
- The Cheshire Cat: Pub and Wings
- The Swan at Carp: Dessert Spot
- KIN Vineyards: Local Winery
- The Ridge Rock Brewery: Local Brewery, Patio and New Restaurant
- Carp Custom Creamery: Ice cream
- Peartree Property Services: Landscaping, Paving and Interlock
- Natasha Danschinko: Coach and Assistant Coach West Carleton Warriors
- Sean Lecuyer: Coach West Carleton Warriors
- Todd Nicholson: Assistant Coach West Carleton Warriors
- Stonecrest Stables: Equestrian Stable
- Fiddler’s Green Stables: Equestrian Stable
- Ferghus and Company: Dog Services. “We are completely humbled to be nominated for a Faces Award this year,” Andrew Mactaggart released in a statement. “Ferghus would be so proud. We will work our buns off to may you proud.”
- Melissa Bellefontaine of Bellefontaine Photography: Photography, Headshots, Events and Weddings. “We appreciated the support,” Bellefontaine said.
- Dr. David Vanderzon and his clinic Kanata Highlands Veterinary Hospital: Pets
- The Diefenbunker: Canada’s Cold War Museum: Best Museum (Leisure and Tourism). “There are so many great museums in Ottawa,” Diefenbunker staff released in a statement. “As a private charitable museum, we’re so honoured to be a finalist among the nationals.”
- La Vida Local: Local Tour Guide/Tour and Corporate Retreat
- Coun. Eli El-Chantiry: Municipal Politician
- John Roberts: Real Estate Agent
- Happy Times: Pizza
- Constance Lake Lodge: Best Breakfast Spot
- Joudel Janoska: Promotional Model
- Creative Edge Dance Academy: Dance School
- Eagle Creek Golf Course: Golf Course
- Greensmere Golf and Country Club: Golf Course
- Loch March Gold and Country Club: Golf Course
- Copperdale Golf and Driving Range: Driving Range
- Terry Cowan: Golf Pro and Instructor (Eagle Creek)
- Kanata Sailing Club: Marina/Yacht Club
- Dreamfleet: Luxury Dealership
- Deka Home Hardware Building Centre (Dunrobin): Hardware/Appliance Store
- Carp Farmers’ Market: Farmers’ Market
The categories and nominees list is exhaustive and (believe it or not) we don’t know everyone in West Carleton. If we have missed anyone, please add in the comments below and accept our apologies. Congratulations to all the West Carleton nominees.
The voting period runs from Jan. 3 to noon on Jan. 23. The awards will be announced at a gal event Jan. 24 at the Brookstreet Hotel. If you would like to vote in the people’s choice awards, click here.
“Join more than 1,200 of Ottawa’s local entrepreneurs, business owners, entertainers, athletes and personalities as we take an evening to celebrate the people, places and businesses that make Ottawa the best city in the world,” Faces magazine staff said.