RENFREW COUNTY – The Renfrew County and District Health Unit (RCDHU) is reported 19 new confirmed COVID-19 infections on Monday, May 10.
That number follows what the county’s top doctor is calling the worst month West Carleton’s western neighbours have endured during the pandemic.
The detailed case summary from the health unit shows six residents are in the hospital with nobody in the intensive care unit.
In the last week, the RCDHU reported 47 cases of COVID-19 with variants of concern continuing to account for the majority of new infections.
Acting medical officer of health Dr. Robert Cushman says 19 infections in one day is the worst the county has seen in the third wave and adds April was the worst month for new cases.
Cushman says 165 cases have “screened positive” for variants of concern including the UK variant and South African variant.
Almost half of residents in Renfrew County and District over the age of 18 (45 per cent) have now received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
Cushman says the total number of doses administered last week (May 3-9) was 5,502 with 42,467 (includes first and second doses) total shots to date.
Ontario’s deputy premier says the government will likely extend the current stay-at-home order as the province reports 2,716 new cases of COVID-19. Christine Elliott says experts are advising the government to ‘stay the course’ on the restrictions that are set to lift on May 20.