OTTAWA – After a springtime hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of Ottawa’s 2020 GLAD Cleaning the Capital Program returns for the fall campaign, from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15. Early registration began Saturday, (Aug. 15).
Registering is quick and easy:
- Visit ottawa.ca/clean or call 3-1-1 (TTY: 613-580-2401) to register your cleanup. Our interactive map will show you which locations have already been claimed, and our online registration form will allow you to choose your own project site and indicate the cleanup supplies that you need.
- Select a location, such as a park, ravine, shoreline, bus stop or pathway – any public area that requires litter pickup or graffiti removal.
Volunteers who register their cleanup project before September 15 could win one of many early-bird prizes, donated by our generous sponsors. Volunteers who submit a final cleanup report by Sunday, October 31 will be eligible for even more prizes.
The campaign is a city-wide event that brings together neighbours, communities and friends to help keep Ottawa clean and green. Last year alone, 69,729 volunteers collected 55,783 kilograms of litter at 1,428 cleanup events.
GLAD Cleaning the Capital is also an excellent way for high school students to earn their community volunteer hours.
New guidelines due to COVID-19
Please keep in mind that all participants must follow public health guidelines to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19. This means your cleanup plan must include the following:
- Keep a physical distance of at least two metres from anyone who is not in your social bubble
- Wear a mask whenever physical distancing is not possible
- Wash and/or sanitize your hands as early and as often as possible
- If you are feeling unwell in any way, please stay home
For more information on city programs and services, visit ottawa.ca or call 3-1-1 (TTY: 613-580-2401).