DUNROBIN – Public health officials and school staff have confirmed a positive case of COVID-19 at West Carleton Secondary School.
Parents and guardians received a letter from WCSS Principal Shannon Adams today (Oct. 26) with the announcement.
“I have been asked to forward a message from Ottawa Public Health (OPH) regarding a reported positive COVID-19 case, a first at our school,” Adams wrote in his letter. “We have been working closely with OPH to help with their contact tracing efforts and to ensure the safety of all our students and staff. Staff and students deemed high-risk contacts by OPH have already been contacted and advised.”
OPH confirms the case is a student case, but no information on the student will be released. Those who may have been in contact with the student were personally informed of the situation.
It is the first confirmed case of COVID-19 at the high school and in any West Carleton school. Neither of West Carleton’s public schools have declared a confirmed case of COVID-19.
The Ottawa Carleton District School Board (OCDSB) reports there are currently 42 active student cases at Ottawa public schools and 11 active staff cases. Sixty-seven cases are reported as resolved.
The OCDSB says there are no classes, cohorts or schools closed at this time as a result of COVID-19.
Both of West Carleton’s Catholic schools, St. Michael’s Fitzroy Harbour and St. Michael’s Corkery also remain COVID-19 free so far. All Saints High School, where some West Carleton students attend, is currently the hardest hit of the Ottawa Catholic School Board’s (OCSB) schools. There are currently seven student cases which has closed one of the cohorts there.
In total, the OCSB says there are 50 current student cases and two staff cases in 25 of the 89 Ottawa Catholic schools.