CARP – One of West Carleton’s most important sings of spring, the opening of the Carp Farmers’ Market, is here, opening the gates on another season Saturday, May 8.
“Save the date, the Carp Farmers’ Market will be back open for the season starting May 8, from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Carp Fairgrounds,” market manager Ennio Marcantonio released in a statement last Sunday (April 11). “We’re so excited to be back for our 31st market season.”
While it is later than usual, having to cancel the annual Easter market this spring, it is still earlier than last year when the market opened Saturday, June 20 as organizers worked to come up with a COVID-19 friendly plan to operate amidst the global pandemic.
“All COVID-19 protocols we implemented last season will remain in effect as we continue to operate in a safe manner during the pandemic,” Marcantonio said. “We encourage all our customers to read over our COVID-19 protocols before attending the market. Although COVID has changed a lot in the world, the foundation that our market was built on remains the same – connecting local people to an amazing group of local producers.”
Here are some of the COVID-19 precautions the market is taking:
- Encouraging the wearing of masks to protect fellow customers, vendors and market staff. ⠀
- Do not come to the market if sick or awaiting test results.
- Please respect social distancing. Give your fellow customers six feet (two metres) of space when shopping and waiting in line.
- One entrance and exit to control the number and flow of customers in the shopping area. Please anticipate waiting in line when attending peak hours.
- Follow all directional signage while on the fairgrounds and do not cross any barriers or ropes.
- No food court or food court seating. All prepared food is take-home only. No eating permitted on site.
“We will be posting the list of vendors joining us for opening day in the days leading up to May 8 so please stay tuned,” Marcantonio said. “We look forward to seeing you all back at the Carp market very soon.”